Thursday, October 14, 2004

I am sick of Olestra.

I don't know if you know this, but "Olestra" is the fat-free oil that a number of snack chips are fried in these days. The chips come out perfect, virtually indiscernible from regular chips. Therein lies the problem.

I have not eaten snack chips for a good long while, due to health concerns. They are high in sodium, and high in fat. In short, they fan the flames of high blood pressure. I have high blood pressure. I have no problem with revealing that.

The new Olestra chips pack none of the fat, but they still have the high sodium. So, the "silent killer" still stalks us, in the aisles of our "friendly" supermarkets, hidden beneath the badge of the "non-fat" label. And we are likely to eat more of these same-sodium chips because we think we are "healthying-up."

This blog entry is an open invitation for the Frito-Lay corporation to begin to undo the massive damage they have wreaked upon the American snacking public. I am considering legal action if F-L is not proactive on this one.