Tuesday, July 06, 2004

DMV.

I don't know how this happened but my Driver's License expired. I was expecting the renewal forms 30-60 days before the expiration, and even had the check made out, but I guess someone at the main office just completely dropped the ball. The end result: you guessed it, old Pat had to walk down to the DMV. I don't need to tell you that I was pretty hot under the collar.

I was completely prepared for a 3-4 hour wait (brought my favorite paperback copy of Sense and Sensibility), but things did end up going pretty quickly and the only hitch was that the written test was far more ridiculous than should have been allowed. Very convoluted writing, such as:

When you want to change lanes, do you:
a. Look over your shoulder
b. Check your mirrors and look over your shoulder
c. Look over your right shoulder

How in the damn hell do you choose just one of those? I do all that plus I ask my passenger if they see anything I didn't, plus I turn off the radio, signal for at least 100 yards, honk twice and use the arm signals in case the blinker's out. I tried to impress this upon the man who scored the test but apparently my choice (b) was correct and he didn't want to hear my reasoning. Long story short I scored 100% and had my photo taken and left a bit charged that the whole thing had gone so easily. I hadn't taken any kind of written test in a long time, so it was a nice feeling to know that I can drop back in and whip out 100%s just like that. Good old Pat.